Friday, July 8, 2011

More on Blashill (and Cassidy)

Some stories on Jeff Blashill's promotion to the Detroit Red Wings: 
The Detroit News quotes Wings coach Mike Babcock: "In looking to fill our coaching staff, I wanted successful and innovative coaches that would challenge us with new ideas in order to continually help the Red Wings become a better hockey team."

The Kalamazoo Gazette has updates with quotes from the NCAA's Coach of the Year. Says Blashill: "The most difficult part is leaving here and leaving a place I really love. It might sound weird after one year, but it's reality. I really fell in love with this place. It's special here. That makes it difficult."


The RedWings.com story is here. 
Another story, from Fox News


Blashill coached the Ice from 2008-10. The official team release is here. Says Ice owner Paul Skjodt, who named Blashill coach and GM in 2008: "It is a great story for all aspiring head coaches with respect to Jeff’s successful journey here in Indy in the USHL and the success that followed at WMU. Jeff was never afraid to fail in his long term plan to one day coach in the NHL.  His initial decision to leave Miami to run our hockey operations department took some time, but he realized he had to be in this position in order to advance his career.  We were fortunate to have had him here and it was only a matter of time before his dream came to fruition.  Cindy and I are proud to have played a part in his development and wish Jeff and his family much success in the future.”

Also, Matt Kalman's Bruins Blog has a nice piece on new Providence Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy, who is running the Boston Bruins' development camp this weekend (which includes Ice alum Brian Ferlin). Cassidy played for and coached the Indianapolis Ice in the IHL. Says Cassidy: "I talk to the players, they’re human beings, I like to put them in a position to succeed. I like to push them, to get a little bit more out of them. But I think I’m a lot less vocal than I was when I first started. I think part of that’s just being around it longer and having young children now." 

No comments:

Post a Comment